Saturday, February 20, 2010

Old World Santa Doll Creations....... A Crafting Journey of doll making




                                                                              I make OOAK Santa dolls. Thanks to my sis she got me started on this by sending me one of her completed Santa's in the early 1990s. I just loved him and I purchased some items to send to  her that I had gotten a great bargain on for her santa construction.  I held on to these items for a while and she had told me she quit making them and don't have the time. So I just kept the items and decided later that I would try making them myself as she told me that she and her friends would get together and make them. So I decided to give it a go.  I have for many years now going to Estate Sales, yard sales and thrift stores  collecting special vintage items such as fabrics, linens, baskets, brooches, pins, and other little goodies that catch my eye to incorporate into one of my Father Christmas dolls.  Now I have so many items in the attic  and  santa projects in my head I doubt I will get to all of them all made  but I sure will give it a good try!!    My last creation was Seashore Santa above  The  heads and hands are made of Porcelain, Santa's beard, mustache and hair are all attached and to me this is the hardest part of making my dolls and the most time consuming for me I don't know why this is. It may just be it is quite a messy process but after I have completed the hair it seems that my santa has a new personality and is starting to become one of my one of a kind creation. And then I have to clean up the mess!   I will add a few more pictures of my santa creations that I have sold and in the future the ones that are completed for 2010.


Below is Woodland Gatherer Santa He received a new home in 2008


Below another one of my creations woodland santa on the wild side received a new home in 2007!
A few santa heads with mohair completed! So happy!


This process sure is messy but worth the effort!


Now to make new personalities and bring them to life for the next holiday season!
I have my work cut out for me throughout the year!

The thread is waiting and so many colors I need to get my  sewing machine to work!



1 comment:

Brialee said...

I LOVE old world Santas, beautiful work!! I'm a Halloween folk artist and would be honored if you made a visit to my blog when you have the chance!
www.ravenfaescreations.blogspot.com

~ Brialee ~

About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States