Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Yard Sale Dilemma


Do I have some kind of addiction? Could it be a shopping or collecting addiction? Probably not a collecting addiction as I have quite a bit of different items. Could it be a shopping addiction? Well maybe, but what I like to think is it's just a way to pass the time, a hobby ,something to keep me busy and do something that I enjoy. Just the fun of finding that vintage item that brings back memories of something in my life, or maybe just a certain time frame or bygone era. Who doesn't love the nostalgia of finding an item that sat on a shelf or hung on a wall and you remember admiring as a child or to run across something that a special friend or family member decorated their home with years ago
. Here's a bit of info on how it all started for me and my memories: My love for yard sales started as a youngster I have memories of my Mom and Grandma getting together and setting up the grand sales in the the large front yard under the weeping willow tree and the items crept out beyond the shaded treeline at my Grandparents house. There sure was alot of commotion and running around with the with several tables being set up and boxes of neatly arranged items that needed to be set out. Some of the treasures that were put out onto the tables were houseware items such as dishes, knick knacks, glassware, books and more. There may have been some furniture and tools and of course lots of clothing. Some of the tables were made of old wooden apple boxes and ply board with vintage tablecloth or sheet draped out nicely over the top of the makeshift tables. That was a great temporary useful solution to display the goods that were for sale. The strung clothesline tied to the tree was always present with an array of colorful and bright vintage and handmade clothing. I really remember the bright items that were scattered throughout the line. Always a multitude of spectacular colors and prints, for some reason the florals stand out in my mind on both the clothing and other linen or fabric type items. Besides the clothing there were also draperies, blankets and tablecloths that were hung and folded nicely placed on hangers. A big yard sale sign was posted out front that was free standing and quite large and handmade to bring in all the yard salers, collectors, Antique dealers, bargain hunters, and the occasional browser just looking. OK so this is the start and the very beginning of some of my fond memories of yard sales and how it all started for me. This is only the very beginning

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States